Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Two boys, one purse?

Every night, I crawl into Caleb's twin bed with him and rub his head until he falls asleep. He doesn't necessarily need me to do this for him, but we both enjoy it and quite frankly, I'm going to keep doing it until he decides he's too old and cool for his mom.

At any rate, we have some of our best conversations as he's about to drift into dreamland. After a long silence, he suddenly piped up half asleep with some random questions. Tonight's topic of conversation was a continuation of questions he has asked me about couples who are gay. Now I've done my best to answer his inquiries in bits and pieces, but clearly, I've failed to answer some of the more burning questions. Our conversation went something like this:

Caleb: "If two boys get married, does one of them have to carry a purse?"

Me: "I don't think so, but I guess one of them could if he really wanted to.  And actually, what if both of them wanted to carry a purse? That'd be okay, right?"

Caleb: (slightly puzzled) "Yeah, I guess so."

Me: "Do you know what it's called when two boys are married to each other or two girls are married to each other?"

Caleb: "No."

Me: "It means they're 'gay.'"

Caleb: "Gay?  Oh, okay.  Well, what am I?"

Me: "Well, are you interested in boys or girls?"

Caleb: "I like girls."  (I've known the answer to this question since he was about age two.)

Me: "Well, then you are 'straight' and actually so am I because I am interested in men and I am especially in love with your dad."

Caleb: "You love dad...(yawn)...even though he's bald."

Me: "Yes, even though he's bald."

Like five seconds later, he was sound asleep. Bald is beautiful. I still don't really know the answer to the purse question.

The End.


4 comments:

  1. I love this. I also want to know the answer to the purse question.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I knew that purse pic would come in handy someday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, if he ever changes his mind about being straight, I think I know who's going to carry the purse in the relationship.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This warmed my heart. Those moments are the best ever.

    ReplyDelete